The Student News Site of Steilacoom High School

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

SHS Freshman Breaks Track Records

Nikolaus D. Olive
Freshman Kyra Anderson throwing shotput, another track event in which she holds a freshman record.

At the first meet of the 2024 season, freshman Kyra Anderson broke the SHS freshman record for the discus throw. The last record was established by freshman Savannah Oloi in 2014, who threw 96 feet and 10 inches. Anderson threw 100 feet and 4 inches.

She wasn’t aware of the record until a few minutes before she threw, but she was confident she’d beat it right away. After throwing for over a year and dedicating herself to training outside of school, lifting weights and focusing on nutrition, she felt ready. She also set the freshman meet record at the South Sound Freshman-Sophomore Invitational on March 30, throwing 91 feet and 5 inches, which beat the previous record by 12 feet. “When you step in that ring, it’s just you. That’s all that matters,” Anderson said.

At the time of writing this article, Anderson is the leading freshman girl in discus in the whole state of Washington, according to Athletic.net. For SHS freshmen, she holds a top-five record for discus, shotput and javelin, though she is fifth in discus across all grades in SHS. She already qualified for Nike Nationals, a high school invitational, for the hammer throw, but she aims to qualify for discus as well. She hopes to commit to a Division I or Division II school for track and field in the future.