The Student News Site of Steilacoom High School

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

Trade out College for Trade School?

As this school year comes to a close many seniors are heading off to college. However, some may be looking for an alternative. College is great, but it’s not for everyone. There are lots of ways to head after high school. I’m heading to trade school, and you could too.

Trade school, also known as vocational school or technical college, is a form of post-secondary education where you are trained for a specific trade or career. Common trades are plumbing, electrical, HVAC, welding, but there are so many more. A 4-year college or university can be great for a lot of people, but it’s not for everyone. If you’re looking for an alternative to college, then you should consider trade school.

From a financial standpoint, trade school can be a great option. While a traditional 4-year college or university can cost tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars per year, trade school generally costs around $20,000 for your entire program with tuition and other fees included. After you’re done with school, you can generally get a job in your field of study very easily. Minimal to no debt and working in your field straight out of school means that you are making more money much sooner compared to your college counterparts.

A very big advantage of trade school over college is that trade school will give you hands-on experience in your field of study. Aside from nepotism, hands-on experience is the most important part of landing a job. While it is admittedly a little backwards that you need experience for a lot of entry level jobs nowadays, it’s undeniable that it’ll make you stand out to employers. Along with hands-on experience, trade school will give you certifications that you may need for certain jobs, and you can get these certifications in a year or two. Maybe even a few months depending on your program.