The Student News Site of Steilacoom High School

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

Letter from the Editor

APRIL

The Sentinel Sound will be gradually transitioning to an online paper in the next few months, matching the current industry for journalism and media. In addition, the journalism class will be replaced with an after-school club next year.

The March 2024 issue was the last full-length physical newspaper for the time being, due to the staff’s struggle finding sufficient funds to pay for the printing of the paper. But don’t worry! Eight-page physical copies like this one will still be released once a month, featuring the best of our staff’s recent articles. At the same time, we have launched an online website where articles can be posted more often and in a more timely manner. Find our website at thesentinelsound.org or scan the QR code in the masthead!
We are excited for this next step. We believe it is an opportunity for us to grow, offering us a broader reach and better access to the community. With the rise of technology and online news outlets, launching a website corresponds with the way other high school journalism programs operate as well as professional careers beyond high school. New features such as color photography, video, audio and podcasts can be included in articles, and we believe this will increase our presence in the community with more interactive stories and faster reporting.

Next year’s after-school journalism club will give students’ school schedules more flexibility. It will also give The Sentinel Sound staff more freedom in the things they report, and allow for an even more student-led environment. Interested students are free to join the club next year with no application required. Editorial Board staff will be voted on by club members with adviser input. More information about the journalism club will be released as the 2024-2025 school year approaches.

Any individuals, clubs, organizations or small businesses who would like to support our student-run newspaper may donate or advertise. Email our adviser, Lindsay Webster, at the email written in the masthead for more information.

-Noelle Reger, Editor-in-Chief

CORRECTIONS from April 2024 Issue:

Sports Editor Rebecca Pyun’s name was left off of the Editorial Board section of the masthead. Principal Jake Tyrrell’s name was misspelled in the Spanish section articles. The Illustration for the Duolingo owl was not attributed to the artist, Darren Vargas-Holmes, Illustrator.