The Student News Site of Steilacoom High School

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

Chemistry Teacher James Jarnagin Starts Wizardry Unit Next Year

Austin Scheel

New opportunities open up when former chemistry teacher James Jarnagin plans to  retire his chemistry teaching to open a new door to wizardry for both himself and students interested.

When Jarnagin joined Steilacoom High School as a chemistry teacher, he never fully enjoyed teaching the subject. “There’s no magic when working with chemicals. It’s just all so strict. I just have such a longer history with wizardry, too.”

When Jarnagin was a child, he studied in the Cansae Wizardry Academy and studied alongside some of the most influential figures in wizardry, such as Rex Von and Gilbertus Alba, who were prolific in their studies of spellcasting. Jarnagin recalls their constant banter and fights would “eventually lead to the academy forming two different sides that was acknowledged by the building officially, the Quindena and the Culina.”

After the Academy closed in 2004 due to tensions growing in the two oppositions, Jarnagin feels as if he has a responsibility to share his knowledge of wizardry to the world being one of the only surviving wizards ever since the academy’s great Wizardry War of Urbus Angelorum.

“It’s sad to think that not many wizards are around any more to keep spellcasting alive,” Jarnagin stated. “But I hope that my teachings will inspire others to start a career in wizardry to keep its legacy alive.”

The year-long course will be counted as a dual credit for both fine arts and CTE. While Jarnagin is the only staff member qualified to teach this subject, if the class becomes more popular, more time will be dedicated to the subject.

[The Steilly Shallot is a satirical monthly column meant to resemble the satirical news source, “The Onion”.]