The Student News Site of Steilacoom High School

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

Special Olympics Gold Medalist Kalissa Alenick heads to State for Swim

Katie Alenick

Training until dinner multiple days a week, sophomore Kalissa Alenick, has been practicing for the State Competition for three years. On April 20,, Alenick competed at the Regional Special Olympics Competition for the first time and placed gold in two of her events and silver in another. She competed in the 25 meter backstroke, 50 meter backstroke and the unified medley relay.
Alenick took gold in the 25 meter backstroke with a significant 12 second gap between her and second place. She also grabbed that gold medal in the unified medley relay swimming the backstroke leg. In her favorite race, the 50 meter backstroke, she secured the silver medal. As a 16-year-old competing against girls ranging in age from 16-21 Alenick came home with three shiny new medals to hang up.

On June 8, she will return to King County Aquatic Center to compete in the State Competition for the 25 meter backstroke, 50 meter backstroke and the unified medley relay, swimming the backstroke. When asked what she was most looking forward to at the state competition, Alenick was ecstatic about, “Seeing Jake Tyrrell,” and all her swim coaches coming to support her. Make sure to come out and support Alenick on Saturday, June 8 at the KCAC or wish her good luck in the commons when you see her.