The Student News Site of Steilacoom High School

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

Women Lead at SHS

SHS is lead by an All-Female ASB
Lindsay Webster

Serina Su
“I have strengthened my mindset and learned how to challenge these biases by using my voice. I will not be staying silent to a clear issue being presented to me.” Senior Serina Su has upheld various leadership roles, making a direct impact on not only our school but our community. “I have experienced sexism in the leadership field and my personal life. I felt like I was invisible and unwelcomed,” Su commented. In circumstances as such, Su addresses the issue head on, especially with the support of an all-female ASB team. Su dedicates her time to making a difference in our world, advocating for diversity and healthy communication. Su’s message to women everywhere is to “Amplify your voice and embrace “#girlpower!”

Rebecca Pyun
“I know what I’m capable of, and I don’t need people telling me what I can or can’t do.” Senior Rebecca Pyun, ASB secretary, said that being on an all-female ASB team means being surrounded by other strong, powerful and intelligent young girls looking to make a difference in the school, allowing for ASB to connect and understand each other on a deeper level. They are each other’s support system. This helps them work together more efficiently and effectively, swiftly getting important school matters done.

Eva Clapp
“When working I often think of the scene from Barbie where lawyer Barbie says she can hold both logic and feeling at the same time, and that doesn’t diminish her powers, it expands them.” Junior Eva Clapp holds the titles of ASB treasurer, girls golf captain and yearbook’s photo editor-in-chief, but her identity isn’t in what she does but who she is. Clapp embraces her femininity by being confident in expressing herself.

Issy Pancho
Senior Issy Pancho is an involved student leader at SHS, being ASB’s public information officer. As Pancho recounted her own experiences of having her work, voice and value undermined, she highlighted the importance of having strong female role models in her life. She is inspired by her grandmother, Cristeta Pancho, who overcame countless barriers and obstacles as an immigrant woman of color. “Do what you love regardless of what anyone says. Don’t let them get to you,” Issy Pancho said, carrying on her grandmother’s message.

Nora Agosto-Sungino
“Do what you want to do and find what you are passionate about.” Senior Nora Agosto-Sungino finds comfort in “the future is female”. “Without female representation you can’t make decisions for a large population. There are definitely experiences that are unique to being female or male, and without representation – will not be able to benefit from a full variety of opinions and beliefs,” Agosto-Sungino said. By bringing her out of her comfort zone, the ASB team helped Agosto-Sungino find her love for leadership.