The Student News Site of Steilacoom High School

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

Celebrating Mother’s Day

“A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” -Princess Diana
Illustration
Atlas Yerabek
Illustration

Mother’s Day was invented on May 12, 1907 by Anna Maria Jarvis, a woman’s rights and social activist, after her mother’s death in 1905.  The second Sunday in May is a day once a year where we celebrate and honor the sacrifices and love of our mothers.

A mother is she who can take the place of all others, but whose place no one else can take.

— Cardinal Mermillod

This year, Mother’s Day is on Sunday May 12. There are so many ideas and things you can do to celebrate and honor your mother. You could start off the day right by treating your mom to breakfast in bed or go out to brunch, Later, you could finish her to-do list so that she doesn’t have to do any chores. You could plan a trip to her favorite place or maybe even try a new experience together.

A mother is the truest friend we have.

— Washington Irving

Maybe your mom doesn’t like to go out much and you organize an at-home movie marathon or a bake-off. Whatever you do though, make sure you get her something to show your appreciation, perhaps a card or flowers and let her know you love and appreciate her.

A mother is your first friend, a best friend, and a forever friend.

— Amit Kalantri.