The Student News Site of Steilacoom High School

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

Glass Mural Broken

On Feb. 14, the Steilacoom Sentinel glass mural was shattered during an alleged altercation between two students
Nikolaus D. Olive

On Feb. 14, the Steilacoom Sentinel glass mural was shattered during an alleged altercation between two students.
The student allegedly threw another individual into the window after a disagreement, causing the window to shatter. Many students witnessed the conflict as they were eating their lunch. “One second there wasn’t really anything going on, and then the next second there was a band and everyone was crowding around the windows. It looked like they were rough-housing, then one threw the other into the window,” said sophomore Fau Onosai. Students in the gym at the time of the incident were alarmed by the action. “I was in gym class and all of a sudden there’s some sort of bang and I look up and the glass is broken. I was scared glass was going to fall down on me,” shared an anonymous freshman. The administration was able to identify the two students at fault from video surveillance footage.

Two freshmen were held accountable for this and both incurred disciplinary action for their horseplay. “It wasn’t a fight, they were just playing around and one of the students got a little too touchy and pushed the other student, I can’t say through, but into the glass,” said Restorative Center Paraeducator Edward Wells after reviewing the surveillance footage.
It is currently unknown how long the window will take to be replaced. Families of the students are responsible for splitting the cost of the window repairs, rather than having the students be trialed for damage of property. Until then the window has been blocked off to ensure the safety of students and staff.