The Student News Site of Steilacoom High School

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

Chamber Choir? More like Carnegie Choir

Chamber Choir? More like Carnegie Choir
Susan Anderson

On June 1, the SHS Chamber Choir will be joining the long list of accomplished Carnegie Hall performers. They were invited to be there along with other choirs from around the country, most of which are college level or higher. Chamber Choir’s performance will be about 43 minutes of straight singing. They will be performing Johann Bach’s “Magnificat” and Antonio Vivaldi’s “Magnifica.” accompanied by a live orchestra. “It took 7 months for us to work on these pieces, they are not your classic choir pieces,” said senior Susan Anderson.

Carnegie Hall has been around since the late 1800s, founded by Andrew Carnegie to be a home for fine music in New York City, as it was originally named Music Hall. Carnegie Hall is seen as a place to witness the best music of the current time, from performers of all genres such as Tchaikovsky and The Beatles. Beyond just music, Carnegie Hall’s walls have heard speeches from dozens of US presidents, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Dr. Maya Angelou and many more important figures from various time periods.

The student performers leave on May 29, missing prom on May 31 to be in New York City. While there, the students hope to explore the city. They have plans to see the musical “Wicked,” visit the observation deck on top of Rockefeller Center and go on a dinner cruise around the Statue of Liberty after their concert at Carnegie Hall.