The Student News Site of Steilacoom High School

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

SHS AP Classes: Which are the Best of the Best?

A survey was conducted to find out what our Sentinel’s favorite AP classes are. 99 students participated in the survey: 23.2% being freshmen, 46.5% sophomores, 17.2% juniors, and 13.1% seniors. The top three favorite courses according to the survey were AP Seminar with Mrs. Harwell in third, AP Psychology with Mr. Renner and AP Human Geography with Mr. Bartlett tied for second, AP World with Mr. Bartlett in first place. Sophomore Carson Emelio explains why AP Seminar has been a helpful course to take stating, “the class itself helps you become a well rounded researcher and writer, which gives you the skills you need to succeed in college.” Sophomore Kayley Gallagher adds, “Mrs. Harwell is a great teacher and is there to support you in any way she can, making the class very rewarding and fulfilling to take.” Senior Rebecca Pyun states her enthusiasm for AP Psychology: “AP Psychology was my ALL TIME FAVORITE AP class that I have taken because of Mr. Renner (what a guy), the people that I had in that class, and the content of the class.” Many freshmen explained their love for their first venture into APs with Human Geography. Freshman Alexandria Bridges said, “I absolutely love this class and think Mr.Bartlett is the best teacher. He’s easy going, and informative. He guarantees success.” Lastly, AP World won over the most students as their favorite AP course offered at SHS. An SHS sophomore, who wishes to remain anonymous, highlights the “phenomenal teaching by Bartlett.”  Junior Trenton Bergren stated, “I would highly recommend any of the AP history classes at the school as they have great teachers who are very knowledgeable and you get a small class size that you can really get to know everybody and just learn a lot. I think they are perfect as they are.”  Honorable mention to Mr. Pickett’s AP Gov and AP US History Classes, as his students expressed their love for the courses and teacher. Senior Kevin Rasquinha explains how, “AP Gov is the best class of all time out of any school curriculum.” Senior Noelle Reger adds that she would, “recommend any AP class taught by Mr. Pickett.”