The Student News Site of Steilacoom High School

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

Tyrrell Listens to Students

New SHS Principal Jake Tyrrell Takes Concrete Actions in Response to Student Feedback

The Sentinel Sound has written various articles critiquing certain policies, practices and procedures of SHS. While last year’s administration once tried censoring the newspaper, the new administration reads and listens to student concerns.
In November, when the Sentinel Sound was highlighting Native American Heritage Month, one interviewed Native American student said that she wished she could wear cultural decor and regalia to graduation as a way of honoring her ancestry. Shortly after the paper was distributed, a new graduation policy was announced which allows for cap decor and cultural regalia to be worn, as long as it has prior approval by admin. In past years, SHS students were not allowed to do this, and often donned cultural items for photos after the ceremony.

In the February 2024 issue of The Sentinel Sound, staff reporter Bri Freigo wrote an opinion piece about how seniors ahead of graduation requirements should be allowed to have free periods and take advantage of an early dismissal period or a late arrival period. Mere days after the paper was released, SHS Principal Jake Tyrrell showed the journalism class his draft for a form for seniors to fill out to ask for a free period or early release. In addition, February’s staff editorial mentioned the lack of dividers between urinals in the upstairs boys bathroom, and Tyrrell said immediately after reading the editorial, he called maintenance to install dividers.

In less than one school year, the new SHS administration has made multiple positive changes to SHS which were highly requested by students, proving that they pay attention.