The Student News Site of Steilacoom High School

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

The Sentinel Sound

Drought Headed for Washington State

Through the summer of 2024 Washington State Department of Ecology has announced a statewide drought warning. A drought warning is issued when less than 75% of water supplies are available to the state. The warning is communicated prior to the actual drought so people can be better informed and prepared before being inflicted with the full extent of the drought. Here is a list of things you can do to prepare:

• Take quick showers rather than baths
    • Turn off the water while brushing your teeth or shaving
    • Run the washer less frequently and only when you have a full load
    • Water your lawn less frequently and do so when the temperature is cooler in the early morning or late evening
    • Never pour water down the drain when there may be another use for it -such as watering a plant or garden.
    • Do not use water to defrost frozen foods, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
    • Avoid purchasing recreational water toys that require a constant stream of water.
    • Scrape, rather than rinse, dishes before loading into the dishwasher.
    • Keep drinking water in the refrigerator instead of letting the faucet run until the water is cool.